Giving birth must surely be one of the most exciting and spiritual events that can happen in a woman’s life. You have carried a child for nine months under your heart, and at last the day arrives when you have to pack your bag for the hospital. You are excited. You can feel the pains coming and don’t know what to expect. You are not only packing your own things, you are packing in baby clothes for the little human being who will soon join the family; something that is new to you.
What to pack for yourself
· Pack two bags; one for you and one for the baby. Your bag will contain a smaller bag of toiletries, a fresh towel, an outfit to go home in, a comfortable pair of shoes, and a jacket in the event of bad weather.
· A feeding bra, a half dozen panties, face and hand cream, hairbrush, drier,
· Ointments and medication you are currently taking,
· A breast pump and a soft round cushion with a hole in the middle to be placed in a comfortable position under the baby in your arms to make for easier feeding.
· Sanitary towels in the event the hospital does not provide them.
· Your favorite shampoo and special soap to give you a familiar scent and a touch of home.
What to pack for the baby
1 Diapers, baby blankets, a shawl, sleepers, bootees, bonnets and a soother just in case one is needed.
2 A must-have item for the baby is the car seat. Note that you cannot take home your newborn baby from the hospital without a car seat installed in the back seat of the car. On the day you leave the hospital come prepared with the seat already installed in the back of the car.
3 Don’t bring books. You can use the off-time to sleep and relax as you won't have much free time when you get home; the extra items will only make your bags heavier.
4 Have soft blankets with which to swaddle the baby. Traveling home in the car you don’t want the hands and arms out of the blanket to get caught in a car door or in the car seat.