May 2, 2012
Improving concentration for Parkinson's sufferers
There is no shortcut to improve memory and brain function as it takes time, but there is a lot you can do on your own to nourish your brain and have good concentration. To do this it is best to start with a healthy body. Here are some suggestions on how to develop good brain function and improve your memory and concentration. It suffices to say that an unhealthy or unhappy person may not like the space he is in and that it will be harder for him or her to concentrate. The experience is different for everyone.
• For people who love reading, this is a plus as they are naturally concentrating for longer periods of time on what they are doing and have an edge over those who do not read at all. If you are reading too slowly, read aloud so you can hear the sound on your ear. It will force you to concentrate.
• Play word games such as Boggle and Scrabble where you are learning new words all the time and are retaining them in your memory.
• Crossword puzzles are also good as it requires concentration to come up with the answers.
• Play some mathematical games even if you don’t like it. You want to exercise all parts of your brain.
• Eat the right nuts and seeds such as walnuts, almonds, flax seed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecans, and red raisins. Put a tablespoon of all of these ingredients into a grinder and spread the powdered nuts over three fat dollops of Greek yogurt and pureed apple or mango. This is delicious and can replace either breakfast or lunch. Eat the right kind of food to develop a sound mind.
• Whichever way you decide to go, practice your concentration routine and do it regularly as it will keep your brain in shape.
• Get a friend to walk with you three or four times a week for at least forty minutes. Parkinson’s and other ailments entail stiffness and it will be good exercise for you. The walking will also help with constipation as this apparently is part of Parkinson’s. Walk your way to wellness and do it every day.
• Meditation is a great way to calm down, relax, and concentrate. Pick a quiet spot in your room and sit down and close your eyes. Think about anything, such as visualizing yourself as a young woman lying on the golden sands of a beach. Feel the sun on your body and listen to the rhythm of the waves. Continue the visualization until you feel totally relaxed.