Jun 20, 2012
Handling triplets in their first year
Handling three babies at once, all the same age, just minutes apart, is a huge undertaking and can also be bewildering for a new mom. One moment you are on the bed pushing, and the next moment three screaming babies are in your arms. Hopefully, in your heart you are prepared and not left your baby shopping for the last minute. The following will make things easier for you:
• Do your baby shopping months before you are due as you will have to purchase and set up three cribs, three car seats, and three walkers where the infants can bounce up and down after they have been fed. You will also have to set up an activity center for when they are starting to crawl. You need not do this until they are about six months old.
• Buy enough sleepers and blankets and gowns as this is what the babies will wear for the first few months of their life. Also have enough fitted sheets for the cribs.
• Prepare 90 formula bottles at the same time and keep them in the fridge for emergency situations. Preparing these many bottles at one time saves you minutes which are precious when three hungry babies are all ready to feed.
• If you have not dried up yet and have milk in both breasts, you can feed two of the babies at the same time while the other one is still asleep. You will soon get into a sleeping and feeding routine and be able to plan a bit better.
• Don’t be put off by off by others from using a pacifier when you need it from time to time. If you have one baby on your lap and trying to feed another, you don’t want a third baby screaming if a pacifier will soothe him for the two minutes he has to wait for his turn. Remember, babies are like programmed little beings; they get used to feeding times and routine and go off like clockwork at the right time.
• Three babies mean a lot of laundry and a lot of diapers. If you have a washing machine you only have to put the dirty clothes in the machine and switch a button and afterwards fold the clothes while they are still warm. If you don’t have a machine you can wash it all yourself or have a diaper service which delivers to you. It is not easy to handle three babies as a new mom, but we all do it. You get strength from somewhere and intuitively know that you will survive.